What are hearing doctors called?

Audiology is the branch of science that deals with hearing.

Audiologists are licensed healthcare professionals who specialize in treating and diagnosing hearing, tinnitus and balance problems in both adults and children. In Canada, the minimum requirement for an audiologist to practice is a master’s degree.

Audiologists often work in medical offices as specialists. This is similar to any other specialists like cardiologists, dermatologists, psychologists, etc.

You have more than one option

While doing research on where you should go for hearing care, you may also see Hearing Instrument Specialists or Hearing Instrument Practitioner. Hearing Instrument Specialists are college-trained individuals who have completed their respective province’s clinical requirements. After doing this they are certified to conduct hearing tests on adults as well as fit and dispense hearing aids.

Another type of specialist one may encounter is an Otolaryngologist who are known as “ear, nose and throat” doctors or ENT’s. Otolaryngologists are doctors who treat sudden hearing loss and extreme hearing loss, especially when surgical procedures or cochlear implants are needed.

We’ll help you find the right hearing professional

It’s important to understand that the hearing health care needs of the public can be met by the combined presence of both the HIS and the Audiologist. Like any other industry, you can find both the good and the not-so-good hearing professionals. The title of the clinician doesn’t compare to their knowledge of hearing instruments, professionalism, or your trust in them.

Let us help you find an experienced, certified hearing professional near you! Call 1-855-970-2990 or click here

By Starkey Canada