What are some good hearing protection tips?
While there is little you can do to prevent most causes of hearing loss, you can prevent noise-induced hearing loss (the second most common cause) by following good hearing protection practices like these:
Hearing protection tips
- Use hearing protection around loud sounds. Foam earplugs are an economical solution, or consider purchasing custom earplugs to best reduce the sound levels.
- Turn the volume down on the TV, radio, music, etc.
- Avoid loud or noisy activities/places, when possible.
- Limit your time exposure to loud sounds.
- When listening to loud sounds (e.g., music, concerts, fitness classes, etc.), take breaks from the noise.
- Move away from the loudest sound source (e.g., speakers, fireworks, etc.).
- Give your ears time to recover after being exposed to loud noises.
- Do not put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear! This includes cotton swabs, bobby pins, keys, paperclips, or anything else you might use to clean or scratch your ears.
- Keep moving! Exercise keeps the blood pumping throughout the body, including the ears. This keeps the internal parts of the ears healthy.
- Get your hearing tested, especially if you experience a change in your hearing, or ringing or fullness in your ears over 24 hours.